Office of Emergency Management (OEM)
The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) works to ensure Monroe County is ready for any kind of emergency. OEM works with organizations throughout the State to prepare for possible emergencies and lessen their impact and recover as quickly as possible.
Pursuant to West Virginia State Code and the West Virginia Emergency Operations Plan, the Monroe County OEM manages disaster preparedness, mitigation, and response and recovery efforts throughout the County by coordinating with all responsible Profit and Non-Profit agencies. In the event of a federally declared disaster, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) works closely with out office to administer assistance programs.
To meet our mission, the OEM:
- Develops public safety plans for major events within the County.
- Oversees development of the County’s plans for large-scale emergencies and disasters.
- Conducts training and exercises to test the effectiveness of plans and policies.
- Collects, analyzes, and disseminates incident information.
- Coordinates and supports responses to and recovery from emergencies.
- Obtains funding in support of preparedness for Monroe County.