Welcome to the Monroe County Sheriff's Department. Here you will find useful information as well as any news. If you have any questions please call our office.
- The three main components of the PRO Program are prevention, mentoring and safety.
Prevention – The officers facilitate classes on non-traditional educational topics such as juvenile law, domestic violence, underage drinking, drug and alcohol prevention, child abuse and neglect.
Mentoring – Officers are trained on how to be a positive mentor to students they interact with daily.
Safety – Officers are trained to recognize potential danger, prevent violence and to respond to dangerous school situations.
The PRO Program places certified WV Police Officers who are also certified Prevention Resource Officers in local middle and high schools. The officers maintain an office in the school and are on duty a minimum of 35 to 40 hours per week. In addition to regular school day PRO’s typically attend extra-curricular activities throughout the school year.
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office handles all papers that come through the Courts. This could be:
- Wrongful Occupation
- Unlawful Detainer
- Orders of Possession (evictions)
- Writs of Execution
- Fugitive from Justices
- Arrest Warrants
The Sheriff’s Department serve civil and criminal notices from courts including Federal, Circuit, Magistrate, Family and the Monroe County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.
The Duties and Responsibilities of the Monroe County, WV Sheriff’s Department
The duties and responsibilities of the Sheriff’s Office include:
- Inmate Custody
- The Sheriff is the Treasurer of the County
- The Sheriff collects taxes from citizens and disburses them (state, county, municipal and school.)
- Sheriff maintains tax records.
- The Sheriff enforces payment of delinquent taxes.
- The Deputies serve all court papers.
- The Deputies are Bailiffs for court proceedings.
- The Deputies are Court ordered enforcement.
- The Deputies transport prisoners and mental patients
- The Sheriff administers the financial matters of people deemed incompetent.
- The Sheriff issues Concealed Weapon Permits
- The Sheriff and Deputies take complaints.
- The Sheriff and Deputies investigate crimes and traffic accidents.
- The Sheriff and Deputies enforce traffic codes.
- Court Security and Services
- Law Enforcement
- Prisoner Transportation
- Incarceration of Prisoners
Sheriff's Law Enforcement