To obtain a copy of a Marriage Certificate please fill out the form below.
Marriage Certificate Application
Marriage License Requirements
- The age of consent to marry in the State of West Virginia is Eighteen Years Old.
- Any person under the age of eighteen years of age must obtain consent of a parent or legal guardian in whose custody they may be in at the time of application for a marriage license.
- No person under the age of sixteen years old may be issued a marriage license except upon a court order of the Circuit Court and with the consent of the parent or legal guardian.
- If you reside in the State of West Virginia you must apply in the county where you live. You may get married in any county, within the State of West Virginia.
- If both parties reside outside of the State of West Virginia, you may apply in any county in West Virginia and be married in any county within the state.
- Both parties must be present when applying for a license.
Both parties must present some form of identification. Examples of identification accepted are: Driver's License, Birth Certificates, West Virginia Identification Card, Military Identification Card or Passport.
- The fee for obtaining a marriage license is $56.00. However, if the parties elect to participate in the pre-martial counseling, as described in WV Code, a $20.00 discount will be given, making the license fee $36.00. In order to receive the discount, the bride and groom must present a certificate, signed by the individual that provided the counseling, at the time they apply for the license.
- If either party has previously been married and the marriage ended by divorce, you will need to provide the last final divorce decree the judge signed.
- Marriage license are issued the same day that you apply.
- The marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance.
- When you bring the marriage license back into the County Clerk's Office then you must request a copy of the certified license. The Clerk's Office does not automatically provide this. The fee for the certified copy is $5.00 per copy.